July 7, 2011

Mustard?

For the last few days I've been exploring what things I can make DIY-style....first experiment was mustard.
Probably like most people, I just buy a bottle of the stuff at the store. It never really even crossed my mind that you can make it at home. It turned out to be one of the easiest things ever, and also really cheap!

Basic Mustard
  • 3/4 cup whole mustard seeds (I mixed brown&yellow together. Why not.)
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • Sugar & salt to taste

    Place your mustard seeds in a bowl with the vinegar. Give it a swirl.

Now tuck that bowl away somewhere at room temperature and let it sit for 2 days
..................
After the 2 days, pour the mustard seeds + vinegar into a blender and blend away!
Whilst blending, add a teaspoon each of salt and sugar, or to taste  
..................
When you have reached your desired consistency, pour into a jar for storage
And now you have mustard!

It has quite a kick to it right away, but it should mellow out as time passes
Keep it in the fridge and enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! I want to make a sandwich with it!

    ReplyDelete